I dearly loved my friend James. He was close, like family and we spent a lot of time together. I always thought that we would be in each others lives till the end.
James was dropping me to the airport and we were talking about my house keys. I wanted to take them with me and James said, it did not matter, since he would be picking me up at the airport a few days later anyway. As he said that I had a vision of him dying alone in his apartment of a heart attack. I was a little shocked but brushed it off as a morbid thought. I kind of reprimanded myself in my mind for the rubbish I think about. I was so certain that I would have James in my life for the rest of my life.
A few days later I was driving to the airport for my return flight, when I got a call from James's best friend. He told me that James had died that morning and he had found him, alone in his apartment. I can't describe in words the complete devastation I felt. Later, the autopsy confirmed that he had died of a heart attack, just as I had seen in my vision.
From that point onwards, the grief I felt was astronomical. The world became a very desolate place for me. I could barely function and I felt a lot of guilt. Could I have prevented this if I had paid heed to my premonition?
The following are a list of ADC that happened with me regarding James.
1. James had this particular smell. After he died, my house filled up with this smell. I was unbearable and I could hardly be in the house. It took days for it to dissipate.
2. I had a dream in which when I turned around, James was standing there. I rushed into his arms and then woke up. It felt like he was saying goodbye.
3. I felt someone touch me on my back as I went to bed. I was too scared to turn around.
4. I had been crying for days and pleaded with James to give me a sign that he was still around. The next day I was speaking on the phone as I was driving home and I got disconnected. This cell phone was the basic type, nothing fancy. When I looked at the phone, the screen said "James." Also there was symbols on the phone that were not a feature on the phone I had.
5. James's friend inherited his Jeep. The Jeep had a broken digital clock that randomly flashed dates and times. I got an urgent call from his friend to come see the clock. When I had a look, the clock flashed-
Jan 17, 2006. Tues 1.55 A.M.
This is the exact day, date, time that James died. It is statistically impossible for all those variables to come together randomly.
6. I was at an airport and was missing my friend dearly. I asked for a sign and out of nowhere and man wearing a T-shirt over his jeans, started walking in front of me. His T-shirt read- " James, 23". James was born on July 23. I had multiple such experiences. Whenever I asked for a sign something extremely meaningful would show up.
7. I was caught in a rain storm at an art fair. I was running in the rain and suddenly I saw a booth that sold name plates made of wood. They were hanging on the booth. As I ran past it, one of the plates lit up with light. It read' "James."
8. I had a reading with a psychic medium, who was not only able to give me James's name during the reading, but was able to tell me things that were so private and detailed, that there was no way she could have guessed that. James and I had a private joke and only he and I knew about it. During the reading she said the exact thing we used to joke about.
All these instances helped me find some peace.
Was the experience difficult to express in words? No
Did you hear the deceased or hear something associated with the deceased? No
Did you feel a touch or experience any physical contact from the deceased? Yes
Describe where and how you were touched: On my back. I felt someone push me gently.
Was the touch familiar or unfamiliar? Yes, I knew it was my friend.
Was anything communicated by the touch? I felt like he was telling me he is there.
Is there any possibility what you felt was from any other source present in the surroundings at the time of your experience? No. I was alone and the push was real.
Did you see the deceased? No
Did you smell a distinct smell, scent, fragrance or odor associated with the deceased? Yes
What smell, scent, fragrance or odor did you smell? James's body odor.
Was the smell, scent, fragrance or odor familiar? Very much so. It was his distinct smell. I used to tease him about it and it overpowered my house. I could barely stay inside the house. This never happened when he was alive and inside my house.
Was anything communicated by the smell? Just that he was there. I felt like he was trying to get my attention.
Is there any possibility that the smell, scent, fragrance or odor was from any other source present in the surroundings at the time of your experience? NO
Could you sense the emotions or mood of the deceased? Yes I felt a sense of urgency. Like, he really wanted to communicate with me and let me know that he was around.
Did the deceased give you information you did not previously know? No
How do you currently view the reality of your experience? Experience was definitely real I don't know how my phone could display James' name or how the digital clock could display his exact time and date of death.
Was the experience dream like in any way? No
Was there any emotional healing in any way following the experience? Uncertain The shock of losing my best friend was still very strong. It took years before I could accept it. I don't think the ADC helped me heal completely. But, they offered some comfort.
What was the best and worst part of your experience? The best part was the awe and understanding that consciousness does survive physical death. The worst part was not heeding my premonition and feeling guilty.
Has your life changed specifically as a result of your experience? Yes I became more spiritual and started meditating.
Did you have any changes of attitudes or beliefs following the experience? Yes I became more spiritual.
Did the experience give you any spiritual understandings such as life, death, afterlife, God, etc.? Uncertain I still had to process the grief. I have more of a belief that consciousness exists after physical death.
Did you observe or hear anything regarding people or events during your experience that could be verified later? No
Was the experience witnessed or experienced by others? Yes 1 incident involving the deceased's vehicle, involved other witnesses.
Did you have any sense of altered space or time? No
Did you have a sense of knowing, special knowledge, universal order and/or purpose? No
Did you become aware of future events? Yes I had a premonition about James death.
Did you have any psychic, paranormal or other special gifts following the experience that you did not have prior to the experience? No
Did you experience a separation of your consciousness from your body? No
Did you meet or see any other beings other than the deceased? No
Did you see a light? No
Did any part of your experience seem to occur in a place other than the location described above? No
Have you shared this experience with others? Yes Mostly skepticism.
Have you shared this experience formally or informally with any other researcher or web site? No
Were there any associated medications or substances with the potential to affect the experience? No
Following the experience, have you had any other events in your life, medications or substances which reproduced any part of the experience? No
Did you ever in your life have a near-death experience, out of body experience or other spiritual event? Yes I have had a few OBE experiences following this. I think it is because of my meditation practice.Did the questions asked and information you provided accurately and comprehensively describe your experience? Yes